Based on the expected staffing levels at our school on Tuesday, Jan. 11, classes will be canceled for our students. We hope to be able to welcome our students back to our school as soon as possible. Remember we have in person COVID testing tomorrow. You are welcome to bring your student to test anytime between 9 and 3. Details are in the updates at the end of this email. Sign up for testing at https://home.color.com/covid/sign-up/start?partner=tf-ski-610534-students. (You only have to sign up once.)
As a reminder, there are many resources that families can take advantage of while our school is closed:
- Take-home breakfasts and lunches will continue to be available at our school from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. for all students.
- Independent Learning Projects are available for all students. (Elementary School | High School)
- Students have IXL and/or Freckle access (Chromebooks were sent home on Tuesday with students.)
- The Safe Haven Sites listed here are available for childcare. Sites will be open from 8 a.m.–3 p.m. Registration is available on site and a parent or guardian must be present with the child at the time of registration.
- Community-based organizations throughout the city are offering daytime programs for students. A list of programs can be found here. This list will be updated as new programs are identified. For more information about programs and how to register, please reach out to the contact or visit the website listed.
- Chicago Park District field houses will be open during normal operating hours. These facilities will be available to CPS students ages six and older. All Chicago Park District programs will take place as scheduled. For more information on park locations and hours of operation, visit chicagoparkdistrict.com.
- Chicago Public Library locations are open during normal hours (children must be accompanied by an adult and can’t be left at the library unattended). Libraries will have grab-and-go kits with activities for children to do in the library or to take home.
I have also received a variety of questions from parents and felt it would be helpful to share responses. Please see this FAQ document.
On Site COVID Testing Tomorrow - We will host our regularly COVID testing tomorrow (Tuesday, Jan. 11). You are welcome to bring your student to test between the hours of 9:00 and 3:00. Please come to the main entrance and use the buzzer. Office staff will direct you from there.
LSC Agenda – Please see this link for Wednesday’s LSC meeting agenda. It is a 5:30 meeting. You can attend virtually using the link on the agenda.
Diverse Needs Committee Update
Routines + Tough Topics
Last June (2021), the Skinner North community heard advice from The Nora Project for families in uncertain and unstructured times. Dr. Janie Avant's presentation focused on ways to handle the lack of structure for summer months and strategies to support children as they cope with big events happening in the world. We thought it would be helpful to recirculate this now. Find the slide deck and links to specific resources here. Know of a resource that has been helpful to your family? Tell us about your experience here! We are working to compile tips from our Skinner North Community on the website.
Committee Meeting Notes
Catch up on the discussion from our January 6 meeting with notes posted at the Diverse Needs Website. Please join us to plan for upcoming events, including transition to High School, Autism Acceptance Month, and more at our next meeting, on Zoom, February 3, 2022, 9:15am. Zoom link to follow.
Diverse Learners Parent Meet-up
We will follow the lead of the school’s mode for student instruction for the meet up later this month. This is a casual meetup to be connected with other parents and to share experiences and questions regarding our childrens’ diverse learning needs. Stay tuned for updates as the pandemic conditions evolve, and look for additional meet-up dates in the future. If you have any questions, email Boyoung firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tentatively Friday, January 21, 2022, 9:00-10:00am
Capital One Cafe (located in Newcity)
1538 N Clybourn Ave, Chicago, IL 60610
Here are our upcoming events:
Diverse Needs Committee Parent Meet up: Friday, January 21, 2022, from 9:00-10:00am
Diverse Needs Committee Meeting: Thursday, February 3, 2022, at 9:15am
Have a good night,