How to qualify for the Child Tax Credit:
- Your income must be below $112,500 if you are filing as a head of household.
- Your income must be below $150,000 if you are joint filers.
- You must have provided at least half of the child’s support during last year.
- Your child must have lived with you for at least half of the year (six months or more).
- Most importantly, you must file your taxes before May 17.
What payments to expect:
- $3,600 total for each child under 6 years old; $3,000 total for each child under 18 years old.
- The federal government will pay out these sums in monthly cash payments starting in July 2021.
- Children aged 18-24 may also qualify for $500 if they are still claimed as dependents, so make sure to file all children and dependents.
How to claim:
- File your taxes by May 17.
- Use trusted sources to avoid scams — GetYourRefund (www.getyourrefund.org) works with IRS-certified volunteer tax preparers who will help you prepare your taxes for free.
- If you have no income, you can still receive the Child Tax Credit as long as you file your taxes by May 17.
- If you have not received a stimulus check, you can still file your taxes to claim this credit as long as you file by May 17.